Thursday, June 28, 2012

Nursery update!

As some of you may know already, I left my job to stay at home and get ready for the arrival of the baby. I am very lucky to have been able to do that and incredibly grateful that the husband unit supports it as well.
 In my spare time when I am not sleeping and rolling around uncomfortably on the couch and whining, I have been completing the nursery 

I have been working a little bit each day to get the nursery done and perfect. 
I am not ready to show you all my big reveal yet, because I still don't have the window treatments and bedding done.
Once that is all in, I will do a post with everything and before and afters.

Here is a sneak peak at a few elements though.
Since I last posted about the nursery in progress we have added :



This cute decal above the windows. 
It looks hand painted in person but it is actually a rub on vinyl decal from JoAnn's.
The wings are made of chipboard and came with the kit. They sit away from the wall for added dimension to the piece.


We rearranged some of the furniture in the room to open it up more.
 It made a huge difference. 

Though, after I moved the crib to it's new corner I read in one of my " Preparing the nursery" books that you shouldn't stick your crib near a window, in direct sun, next to an AC unit and away from the door.
 I am in violation of all bullet points... oops. 


I started working on the dresser for the nursery. 
I bought this a few years ago at a garage sale for $5.00 I think.
I remember the lady wanted a lot more for it because it was her grandma's or something like that, but it was in bad shape.
I hate it when you try to bargain at a garage sale and people argue that it's worth more because they have some kind of emotional attachment to the item. 
It's just an old wood dresser to me lady!

 It sat on my back porch in a house I rented before I met Steve. 
Then is lived inside a closet, then stored Steve's clothes in our new house but was a pain to open and close, and finally it has reached it's final destination.
( See, I knew I would need it one day)

Up until now, it was missing about half of it's knobs and you couldn't shut the drawers all the way if you wanted to open them again.
The bottom two drawers were missing stoppers, so they pushed way too far in when you shut them.
 It was also a light honey color wood and had some water spots on the top. 
A real gem.



We sanded it down and painted it with a high gloss trim paint and then I stenciled the numbers on the fronts of the drawers using the grey wall paint we accented our upstairs with. 



I had a hard time finding number stencils for this project. 
I went to two different craft & fabric stores and one Hardware store.
 It turns out everyone has tons of ABC stencils sets, but not numbers.

I ended up getting the set I used at Michaels Crafts for $7.00 ( rip off) considering I only needed 5 stencils and it came with the alphabet, numbers and punctuation.

After completing this project I was in the house number aisle at Mclendon's Hardware and of course I found number stencils and decals in packs and sold individually and in a selection of sizes.
 Now I know where to go next time I guess. 

Finished Product:


As for the windows...


This is the fabric I chose for the roman shades in the nursery. 
My mom did a great job at sewing the shades in my master bedroom, so I enlisted her to do the baby room too!

They are a soft white with charcoal cursive writing on them.
 I bought the fabric off the bolt at Ikea for $4.99/yard. 
They will have a room darkening lining inside them (just like my master shades) that works great.  

I have also done some touch up painting around the room and finished the white trim around the door.



My next dilemma was that there is no closet in this room!
 I have a few outfits and jackets that really deserve to be hung up and I didn't have a place to put them. 
After brainstorming a lot of unconventional ideas, I came across an inexpensive Ikea solution. 
I admit it isn't the most glamorous contraption, but it works, it was cheap and it's hidden behind the door anyway, so who really cares.


I then had Steve build a shelf to install above the rack for more storage. 
We used some scrap wood that came off the original walls upstairs. 
I wanted something raw and rustic looking and it came out perfect. 

That's all you get for now.




1 comment:

Love, Chelsea said...

Too cute! I feel like such a slacker :)